The Genome Consortium for Active Teaching
NextGen Sequencing Group
NSF-Funded Workshop for Faculty on Comparative Prokaryotic Genome Analysis
We are currently seeking applicants for our first workshop to be held the first week of January 2012. Faculty will have the opportunity to learn bioinformatics tools with bioinformatics experts from the J. Craig Venter Institute (JCVI) and pedagogy experts from Georgetown University and Simmons College.
Through taking part in the workshop, which will focus on materials available through the Human Microbiome Project, faculty will:
- Gain facility with genome annotation and comparative genomics tools;
- Become familiar with the online community space, Genome Solver, for faculty and student work;
- Identify specific projects that will complement curricular needs;
- Identify specific projects that will complement their own research needs;
- Make connections with other workshop attendees to help create the specific community needed to facilitate research progress and student learning
The workshop will be two days long and will incorporate time for hands-on learning as well as for rich discussions of curricular ideas. Workshops will take place at JCVI’s Rockville, MD campus. Full funding is available for room and board during the workshop and funding is also available for travel to and from the site. We especially encourage faculty at Minority Serving Institutions to apply.
For more information or to sign up, please contact
Anne Rosenwald, Ph.D.
Department of Biology
37th and O Sts., NW
Washington, DC 20057
Phone 202 687 5997
- Sept 19-23, Nov. 14-18, 2011 - IGS Genomic Training Workshop - Baltimore MD
The Institute for Genome Sciences at the University of Maryland School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland is hosting a 4.5-day workshop that will provide detailed instruction in the areas of genome sequencing, annotation, and analysis.
Conferences (Who is going?)
- June 23-26, 2012 - Council for Undergraduate Research Bi-Annual Meeting, The College of New Jersey, Ewing NJ.
- June 16-19, 2012 - American Society for Microbiology (ASM) General Meeting, San Francisco, CA. (Jeff Newman)
- June 14-17, 2012 - American Society for Microbiology Conference for Undergraduate Educators (ASMCUE), San Mateo, CA (Jeff Newman)
- October 25, 2011 - The Genomics Core Facility at Penn State will have a Next-Gen Sequencing Workshop. We will feature the three platforms currently
available: Ion PGM, SOLiD 5500XL and 454 FLX --soon to be FLX+.
- October 22, 2011 - University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) Undergraduate Research Conference, Baltimore MD (Jeff Newman)
- October 5, 2011 - Accelerating Genome Discovery through Next-Gen Seq. - A Virtual Symposium from BioTechniques (Vince Buonaccorsi)
- September 19-21, 2011 - Beyond the Genome, 2011, Washington DC